Ensemble Libro Primo : Fantasia Incantata.
A fantastic classical violin and lute duo interpreting baroque composers.
The term "Stylus Phantasticus" first arises in "Musurgia Universalis" (1650); Athanasius Kirchner's work about harmony in music. It is a style of both composing and performing instrumental music which derives from phantasiren or "the art of improvising". "Stylus Phantasticus" represents a form of liberty in the composition of instrumental music. The style does not confine the composer's imagination or force it to abide by strict rules. This way of writing instrumental music can be difficult to define using common structures and forms of the early 17th century. In this case, the composer's will to write down and structure their ideas was a natural conveyance of a highly elaborate improvisatory performance practice. Johann Mattheson writes about this contemporary performing style: "The Stylus Phantasticus is sometimes agitated, sometimes hesitant, sometimes one- and sometimes many-voiced; often also shortly after the beat: without rhythm; but not without the intention to please, to rush nor to amaze."
For our CD, we have selected works representative of this genre not only for their obvious virtuosity, but also for their subtlety. The liberty within the style leads us through fantastically quick passages and also to moments of hesitation and silence. The juxtaposition of intense and frantic passages with the hesitant and tardy holds a particularly human charm.
Often interspersed amongst the quasi-improvisational passages of music, in both Giovanni Buonaventura Viviani and Giovanni Antonio Pandolfi Mealli, are ground-basses providing occasional respite in the form of a repeating and reliable ostinato bass-line.
Nicola Matteis exhibited the eccentricity of the "Stylus Phantasticus" in his personality as well as his compositions. He was praised for his eloquent, expressive style by his contemporary Roger North. We can imagine his way of playing by studying his Passaggio Rotto.
Biagio Marini subtitles his Sonata Quarta "Per sonar con due Corde" which suggests that using double stops on the violin was extraordinary for the time in Italy. We see the same effect as commonplace in Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber's violin works; as he often writes multi-voiced chords and in scordatura (alternate tuning systems).
Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber's Darstellung im Tempel (The Presentation) is the fourth sonata in the cycle of the famous 15 mystery sonatas describing the lives of Jesus and Maria. This sonata is a set of variations composed over a ground bass.The fourth sonata belongs to the "Joyful Mysteries" and the eight bar ostinato bass as the musical foundation builds a heartfelt theme. The "Rosenkranzsonaten" are a monument in the 17th Century works written for violin, not only for the fact that each sonata is written for a differently tuned violin but for the heavy narrative imbued in each of these sonatas.
We have tried to symbolize the equality and intimacy offered in this fantastic music by recording and producing it ourselves in the atmospheric surroundings of Glasgow Cathedral.
1. Sonata Prima (Giovanni Buonaventura Viviani)
2. Passaggio Rotto (Nicola Matteis)
3. Sonata Quarta 'Per sonar con due corde' (Biagio Marini)
4. Prelude 12 (Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger)
5. Prelude 14 (Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger)
6. Toccata 7 (Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger)
7. Toccata 9 (Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger)
8. Toccata 10 (Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger)
9. Sonata Seconda 'La Cesta' (Giovanni Antonio Pandolfi Mealli)
10. Prelude 1 (Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger)
11. Gagliarda (Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger)
12. Corrente (Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger)
13. Pasacaglia (Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger)
14. Sonata IV 'Darstellung im Tempel' (Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber von Bibern)
Listen to: the entire album.
License A fantastic classical violin and lute duo interpreting baroque composers by Ensemble Libro Primo for your project.
Play the music of Ensemble Libro Primo in your restaurant or store.
Release date: 03/14/2018
Ensemble Libro Primo lives in York England
Tagged as: Classical, Baroque, Instrumental Classical, Composer: Biagio Marini, Composer: Giovanni Antonio Pandolfi Mealli, Composer: Giovanni Buonaventura Viviani, Composer: Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber von Bibern, Composer: Johann Hieronymus Kapsberger, Composer: Nicola Matteis, Lute, Violin
- Bach Violin Concertos by Lara St John: Bach violin concertos
- Hidden Sky by Jami Sieber: enchanting cello compositions
- Ancient Mosaic with Guitar by La Reverie: Recreating traditional music from a modern perspective
- Deux Grands Maitres de l'Ecriture pour le Luth Baroque et le Theorbe by Mauricio Buraglia: a marvelous classical spiral of lute sounds
- 크레이지슬롯 사이트Alma de Cuerda (Soul of String) by La Reverie: Recreating traditional music from a modern perspective
- Rondeau Melancolique by Alex McCartney: Reflective, historically-informed performance on the lute
- Tasabasaba by To Life!: Music as a journey through tribal landscapes, rhythmic dance, hypnotic trance.
- Versailles et Dresde les Cours du Roi Luth by Mauricio Buraglia: a marvelous classical spiral of lute sounds
- Reflections by Joseph Nimoh: uplifting solo piano pieces with influences from classical, jazz and gospel music
- CD2 - Bach - The Six Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin by Lara St John: Bach violin concertos
- The Parisian Delight by Richard MacKenzie: Virtuoso English Lutenist and Guitarist
- Dancing in the Isles by Musica Pacifica: Baroque and traditional music from England, Scotland and Ireland
- CD1 - Bach - The Six Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin by Lara St John: Bach violin concertos
- Mesangeau's Experiments by Alex McCartney: Reflective, historically-informed performance on the lute
- Promenade en Europe Luth Baroque by Mauricio Buraglia: a marvelous classical spiral of lute sounds
- JS Bach Violin Sonatas by Voices of Music: Lilting Renaissance & Baroque vocal interpretations
- William Byrd for Guitar by Daniel Estrem: colorful classical guitar
- George Philipp Telemann 12 Fantasie, Sonata by Vito Paternoster: cellist extraordinaire
- Medieval and Traditional Carols, Chansons and Festive Dances by In Nova Cantica: carols and chansons from the 13th - 17th Centuries for dancing, festivities and mayhem
- Influenza Italiana by 크레이지슬롯 사이트Ensemble Mirable: rare and extraordinary music of the Baroque
- MP3: High quality MP3 variable-bit-rate files. Most people download these: they are audiophile files that play everywhere.
- ALAC: Perfect quality Apple Lossless format files. If you use iTunes or an iPod, get these. They're an exact audio copy of the original CD, and include the CD artwork and artist info. This is the same format as High Definition audio provided by the iTunes store.
- AAC: High quality Apple Audio Codec files. If you use iTunes or an iPod, these files sound great and include CD art and artist info. This is the standard format provided by the iTunes music store.
- WAV: Perfect quality WAV files. This format works everywhere, and is an exact audio copy of the original CD. It sounds fantastic. Album art and artist and artist info is unfortunately not possible with this format.
- FLAC Perfect quality open source FLAC files. This is an open source audio format. It is an exact copy of the original CD, and includes CD artwork and artist info. Works great on Linux, VLC and many audio players based on open source.
- 크레이지슬롯 사이트: High quality open source OGG files. This is an open source audio format. It is a compressed (smaller file size) version of the original CD, and includes CD artwork and artist info. Works great on Linux, VLC and many audio players based on open source.
- 128k: Medium quality 128K MP3 files. These are medium audio quality MP3 files that will work on every device. The audio quality is good enough for most uses. These files are intended for cases where you want to conserve disk space.