Give 3 Free Copies to Your Friends
While other record labels are busy suing their customers for introducing their friends to great music...
At Magnatune, we want you to copy our music for your friends.
Yes, at Magnatune you can legally copy any album from your membership downloads to up to 3 of your friends.
Why do we do this? Because we know you've discovered great music through your friends. It's always been this way: from mix tapes, to CDRs to Peer to Peer. People fall in love with new music
by being exposed to it by others. It's such an obvious point, and everyone knows the truth of it, yet the music industry has always fought it (despite the fact that you're actually trying to help them!).
What, specifically does our policy mean?
Why are we doing this?
- When you download an album you can pass the files to up to 3 of your friends.
- You're also welcome to email the mp3s themselves, or burn a CDR as a way of giving it to your 3 friends.
- In short, use whatever mechanism you prefer to send them the music!
Aren't you worried I'll abuse this?
- We know that if you're buying Magnatune music, that you loved what you heard, and chances are you'll want to play the music to others who might like it too.
- You're going to introduce people to Magnatune's music, why would we want to prevent that?
- Despite all the "We are not evil", we-want-to-change-the-world stuff that we rant about, we know that in the end it's all about the music,
and that people will only visit and buy from us if they find out about it, and think what they hear is amazing.
- And finally, because we wanted to reward so many of our customers who emailed us asking if it was ok to make a copy for a friend. We always said yes! so we decided to make it official policy.
We're trusting you to do the right thing, and introduce new people to the music you love.
- No, because you've always had the technical capability to copy anything from Magnatune (since we don't use DRM): we don't believe in copy protection and we think you're honest, otherwise you wouldn't be bothering to read this!
- Dishonest people can always abuse the system. Rather, we want to reward all the honest people who truly want to do the right thing.
- If you abuse our generosity, we're not going to break down your door and throw you in jail. We just want you to feel a little guilty about it <grin>.
You'll feel good about it, your friends will thank you, and you'll help Magnatune prosper.